I thought i’d put together some tips on how I got kidnapped onto Steam Greenlight in just 5 days. So here goes:
1) create game to a given point – what i mean here is get your game working and up to a point where a demo could be put together, even if its just one level. This is optional, but if people can get hands on what your game is, the more connected they will feel.
2) get game registered over on IndieDB.com – this is a great place for people to find out about your game and since its a database of all indie games. Your’s should be there too.
3) get awesome screenshots, and a trailer. the better you get them, the better your chances, not just for steam, but for journalists to take notice.
4) register on gamespress.com and create a professional press release. For more information on how to create a fantastic press release can be found at http://www.indiegamegirl.com/press-release-template/
5) Create a landing page for your game. I created www.kidnapped-game.com. please review it for reference.
6) about 1 month before you put your game on steam greenlight send out the initial press release to gamespress.com. stating what the game is, specs and a write up about the story or game play.
7) wait a little while for peopl;e to hear aboyt the game and then register as a Greenlight developer (can be seen as pricey) and create your page.
8) Once the game is on Greenlight, send out another press release stating its now on Greenlight.
9) once complete, don’t stop there, you will need to get the news to as many people as possible. I literally spent hours looking over indie game sites looking for contact information so i could also send them the press release.
You might be thinking, that’s a lot of work just to get on Steam Greenlight. But hey, it worked, and it worked well. I learnt a lot from the experience and i suggest you all to give it a go, and give it your all. After all, if you want success, you need to push everything to its limit.
I have also decided to help you all out. I am going to put up over the course of the next few months, the contact information that i have gathered, starting now… (this is an excel file)
You lucky people.
I really hope it can help some people get noticed.
And don’t forget to add me on twitter @deceptive_games and @klarax.
[note: if any game journalist on this list does not want to be on it, please email email@example.com and i will remove it from the date i receive your email]
[ link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/uzxo0vzxltpqjxq/press%20stuff.xlsx ]
(any issues downloading file, email info@deceptive_games.com)